Friday, April 30, 2010

Mary Mary, quite contrary...


Spring marks my favorite time of year. It is time to plant the garden and play outside. My kids are sadly T.V. addicts. But as this season approached I was eager to push them out of doors. My fantasy was that they would play for hours making up adventures and creating natural potions while I worked my chores in the house. (Okay, so that's a fib...I wanted to have a break of mythic proportion, this dream included some sort of beverage and a book.)
We finished our planting last week. Brandon has been on almost hourly watch to monitor it's growth progress. We used coffee grounds and cocoa mulch and flowers to 'perk' up the overall ambiance. It smells like a mocha and looks almost as good. So this is the draw of the yard. Not the swing set, sand box or ride on toys. The garden which will take 56 to 78 days until earliest harvest. That is roughly late June. I rarely have the patience for that kind of time, yet they are fascinated by the changes and obsessed with watering. All good things when you consider that the wee seedlings are counting on us for their continued life. I am proud of them and their eagerness. I am also fortified that this hobby has granted me a peaceful time to read a book and enjoy a glass of lemonade with my feet kicked up on the back patio. They won't let me go inside, but I would never complain-----I'd have to do my chores.

No comments:

Post a Comment